Wednesday, May 17, 2006

He Just Smiled And Gave Me A Vegemite Sandwhich...

One year ago today, Dave and I stepped off a plane, blinking to adjust our light deficient eyes to the unnatural brightness of Western Australia. We had endured the eighteen hour flight from London whilst crammed into the space equivalent to my dads under stairs cupboard. We had drunk the plane practically dry, watched every film and tried but failed to sleep under the cabin lights and in the forced lack of humidity.

I had left Heathrow grinning from ear to ear. My mum was visibly distressed but I was completely in denial about the journey I was about to embark on. After all, I hadn't been living in the same country as my mum for three years (Scotland is a different country!) so moving to Australia wasn't really that much of a biggy. She wouldn't be missing me that much, surely? Fourteen hours later whilst watching some pathetic Disney style movie about a mother and daughters relationship, the enormity of what I was doing hit me. Somewhere mid-air flying over the wilds of Indonesia, I started sobbing.

Suddenly I wasn't excited, I was shit scared. Was I ready to make such a big step? Coming to Australia meant no going back. If Dave and I ever split up, I couldn't just up and go running back to my poor, long suffering mum, demanding sympathy and cups of tea in bed like I had previously done!

The prospect of reaching life's hurdles without my mum at my side wasn't one I had considered before. Mum has been my best friend from the day I was born (or perhaps from two weeks before I was born and she offered me my first taste of a Hollywood Superstars champagne) and I had assumed that she would be there whenever I needed her. Even now, I'm convinced that if I start thinking about having babies in some dreamy romanticised delusional episode then I WILL be moving Ma over here so she can teach me what to do with the wriggly pink buggers!

I just wasn't prepared for the amount of distance there would be between us or that because of the whole damned time difference situation, I can only feasibly ring at the weekends. When I was living in Scotland, it was so easy. I could get down to Plymouth for a long weekend so (and with the exception of my friend Kate latest weekend excursion) getting home is now an impossibility.

So, mum, I apologise for putting you through so much stress. I miss you heaps and can't wait for January. Although you really should never have sold me to Dave for the price of two purple shaggy sheep cushions in the first place!



PS Not sure how it happened but this post was going to be a breezy rendition of 'ooh, I'm so not shocked when I see people wandering around the supermarkets in their jammies and bare feet anymore'! Maybe I'll continue that thought next time?

9 comments:

shazza said...

i cant believe its a year! i miss you sooooo much! never mind chick am well on my way to joining you. the flat is on the market and have heaps of viewings and one offer, think i might hold out for a closing date!!! cant wait to get there. love ya x

Sparkle said...

I love you and miss you so much my little Fairy Princess. I did realise it was the 1st year anniversary and was wondering why I was feeling a little down. I didn't want to say because I didn't want to upset you because I cried for days after you went. It wasn't until we got Skype and you showed me your new sofas the fridge and tv that I began to feel better thinking well maybe the world isn't so big. Not a day goes by when I don't talk about you in fact I think I bore everybody with my tales about My little Fairy Princess in Australia. I don't care if they do get bored or think I am going scenile when I keep repeating stories that I have already told them. They know the latter is true anyway but everybody isn't normal because I AM so they can't be. I Love you so very much and feel all the hugs and kisses I am sending you. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

shazza said...

just received email from NBWA. my registration is being finalised today!!! this is it chick, am definately coming!!!!

never mind sparkle i was crying before we even got on the bus to come back to aberdeen from plymouth. i miss her so much shes like the sister i never had.

Sparkle said...

And I never got the shaggy sheep cushions but don't want them now as they are so last year. So technically I haven't traded you at all. Well done Shazza I am so excited for you all. xxxxxxxxxxxx

Holly said...

I am feeling the love in this post girlies!! x

J.J said...

Ohhh, that is SO lovely.

And Shazza will be out there soon too?

Excellent and exciting stuff.

Nat said...

Shaz, Yeaaa re: rego and flat. Got the most amount of money possible from the flat sale. You'll need it to go SHOPPING once here! I miss you heaps too. Can't wait for you to get over here. We need to start planning my 30th!

Sparkle, I miss you too. Skype takes an anwful lot of the sting out though. It doesn't feel like a year since I've seen you. I've seen your new clothes and those funky boots and I been a witness to what Jamie the hairdresser did to your hair. And don't worry about boring people stupid with stories about me, I do the same with everyone here!

In fact my student asked me why the hell I was here if I missed the UK so much!!

Moo, buckets of love...

Jane, you're back? Yippeee. How was your relaxing and romantic stroll through Paris?

shazza said...

god yeah!! this will be sooooo much fun!! i havent had many decent nights out since you left! a couple with rhona when shes been home!! nobody can party like the WI girls!!!! am not sure about whats happening with the flat. am not coping well with people wandering around my home snooping in cupboards!!! will phone solicitor today may just accept the offer!! it is £9500 over the asking price!!! i dont want to be greedy!

Nat said...

Shazza take the highest but most definite bid. Don't go with someone who's unknown about their finance.

Can't wait for a bloody good night out either. We'll have an absolutely mess of a night. Promise!