Friday, August 25, 2006

Eurobeat, Lets Go Disco!


To start my '30th Birthday Celebration Week' (a day is NEVER enough I feel) I dragged Dave, Shaz, Michael and Joe to see Eurobeat .

All I can say is that it is the best Eurovision musical I have ever seen in my whole entire life!

Gay cowboys, drunken Brit performers, post industrial Wiggles... this show has it all. We ate chocolate dipped papaya and drank wine whilst sat IN OUR THEATRE SEATS! We adopted Estonia as our country of choice and wildly waved our (complimentary) Estonian flag whenever this guy was on stage decked in his plaid and cowboy boots performing his not altogether un-erotic 'Brokeback number'...


...I think you'll agree that we didn't need much encouragement to scream ourselves hoarse?

At the end of the night we had to score the acts on our very own 'Eurobeat Score Card' so obviously I chose...

Iceland...



Estonia...



Russia...




Liechtenstein.... (for Spunky!)



I was given (for my birthday) my very own Estonia flag so I could recreate the glamour and excitement of the evening safely back in my own home. I waved my flag all night and when I was done with waving we sneaked back into the theatre afterwards (post pint in local pub....of course) to hunt down the performers!

Joe and Shaz did a smashing job locating non-famous actor-dahling types. Shaz pointed at appropriate people while Joe pounced on them! By the end of the 'Hunt Down a Luvvie' session I think we had collected EVERY actors autograh (including Estonian hunk of spunk) on my Estonian flag and received countless hugs from really nice people that happen to look good in lycra!




Joe did a great job at explaining all the relevant signatures to me...

"This one is from the Hungarian Act. This one is the little gay one with highlights that had 'that stomach'. This one is the Stage Manager and this one is from a man who had nothing to do with the show but very proudly 'applauded loudly'!"

The Queen of the show, Julia Zemiro, then emerged like a heavenly creature from the wings. If you're a pom (and most of you are....obviously) you won't be familiar with her work with Rockwiz. It's a Never Mind The Buzzcocks for the Aussie settler. She is a very funny lady and just a little bit beautiful. She hugged me and wished me happy birthday....twice.




Swoon...I have a 'lady crush'!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, please don't forget the man who was almost in an advert for marg!! He is on there too!!! See how good I am to you!!
HOW IS YOUR HEAD!!!!
Joe

Holly said...

sounds like you had a fabulous time! Happy birthday for last week too x

Nat said...

Joe, how could I forget him. He was wonderful...?

Moo, Ta muchly. Had a v good time. T'was fabulous.

How were the hols?

J.J said...

Hey! Happy birthday Nat!

A week of celebrations huh? Excellent!

Holly said...

Nat the hols were great, didnt want to come home!! Will post with piccies soon!!