Friday, November 25, 2005

Sneaky Buggers

Was driving home this morning from night shift number one. I had been awake for exactly 26 hours and fifteen minutes (flipping parrots woke me up at 05.45 yesterday and then our neighbour decided to attack his trees with a chainsaw at 07.45-does no one sleep in in this country?) and I was singing along to Robert Smith in a bid to keep myself awake for the eight minute journey.

As I roared over the crest of the hill I was trying to overtake a road train (very long truck with trailers galore) and something caught my eye. A little man was crouched down behind a tree with something in his hand. As I approached he pounced out from behind the tree waving something which looked like a big black shiny gun in his hand. I went from sleepy singalongs to bewilderment to terror before recognising the gun was in fact a speed camera. The bulb flashed, blinded me temporarily and I clocked my spedo at 72 km/h.

Two k's over the speed limit! Bloody nazis.

In the UK I have only ever been caught speeding once and that was when I was overtaking a lamborghini in my peugeot 106. The police must have had such a laugh over it that they 'let me off' (officially a technical difficulty with the admin). That day I was clocked doing 94 miles an hour.

I wouldn't have minded but this is the third time I've been flashed in the last four weeks! Am destined to not hold onto my licence for much longer at this rate!

4 comments:

H x said...

You need to take a leaf out of my darling bro's book. He recently managed to keep his licence (even after having amassed a total of 12 points) by standing up in court and saying, when asked if he had any excuse, "No, sorry, i don't. I shouldn't have done it and i know that".

M now calls him Ferris Bueller.

A few weeks later Ferris did actually loose his licence by post, when yet another 3 points turned up. But on account of his 'poverty stricken status' (yeah right, whenever he runs out of dosh he comes back to M&D to live in the lap of luxury for free!) he only has to pay a fine of 100 quid, payable in £20 a week installments.

And he'll get his licence back in 6 months.

Or you could always take my prefered route and flirt your way out of it! ;o)

H x

Nat said...

H, it's always going to be your way!

Tried turning on the tears once when i was living in Bournemouth. Got a parking ticket for parking outside the nurses home. Thought they'd go easy on me cos I was a nurse living there.

No way. My tears fell on stony silence and then the bugger charged me for a months permit backdated! Bastardo.

Always, always flirt!

Spunky Trunks said...

Nat!

How do I link to you from my profile?

Am I dim?

How is my favourite ex-pat?

C
xxxx

thfiillf - The noise you make when a feather from your duvet sticks to your lip

Nat said...

Spunky, I can't remember!
But...
have emailed you what I think it is. The blogger wouldn't let me type li with <> in it!!!
Weirdo!
N xx