Sunday, December 18, 2005

Bouncy Bouncy



I have just endured my first study day in Oz. Luckily it is always sunny here so when the speakers dried up we headed outside to roll up the legs of our jeans to schedule in some skin frying time.

Our topic? Resus (yawn). As a nurse I have had to endure countless study days on when to bounce on someone's chest and when to just shout in the patients ear..

'MR HIGGINBOTTOM, YOU'VE HAD A BIT OF A FAINT AND PEED YOURSELF. I'M JUST GOING TO CLEAN YOU UP.'

Lucky for me this was one of those ER moments.

They let us play with the defib!!!!!

Was so excited that I almost forgot to act nonchalant at the back of the class passing notes and chewing gum!

The thought of screaming 'CLEAR' as three thousand doctors, nurses, anaesthetists, porters, relatives and nosy patients from the next room jump back from the pulseless patient in fear, was almost too much for my frail Hitler alter-ego.

The result? I can now not only jump on someone's chest to bring them back to life, I can shock them with the defibrillator then inject adrenaline, atropine and lignocaine into their feeble hearts to jump start it and then truly save someone's life!

The only thing that I'm still very disappointed at is that we don't rub the defibs together to get an electric charge! (Old school movie madness apparently!)

PS The photo? I tried obtaining a suitable pic from google image by typing in resus. This was pic number three! Couldn't help myself, isn't she fab?

2 comments:

shazza said...

arent you a lucky girl, i am not allowed to go on any study days cos i am leaving!!! notice is not even in yet!!! oh yeah and my uniform is hanging by a thread, holes in the crotch of my trousers!! still not allowed new ones for the same reasons as above!!!

Holly said...

hi Nat

just a quick one to say have a lovely Christmas and speak soon

Hol

xx