Friday, December 09, 2005

How many sunloungers can you get into a car...?

Last week there was the unfortunate incident of the melting sunlounger. My hot pink mesh lounger from Next had been left out in the Aussie sun by some lazy arsed person (ie moi) and when Dave went to recline in it the seat stretched out like chewing gum and the steel frame bent like cardboard. Obviously I was devastated. It had never so much as got warm in the Aberdeen rays.

We had spent many an afternoon together. Me in my furry parka drinking wine and reading Glamour mag, him draped in a towel so I wouldn't get the cold breeze up through its mesh lining. I even donned my bikini four whole times in the last three years and tried to sunbathe.

Obviously no sunscreen was required!

One summer afternoon I had neglected to click the legs into position and somehow managed to trap my pinky in the struts causing me to flip backwards over the lounger leaving me with my bikini top around my waist and my bum in the air. I was in pain and I couldn't move. I heard the neighbours washing their car and deliberated for a few seconds on whether to call for help!

On the one hand I was trapped and the pain was getting worse as the metal bit into the flesh on my finger. I couldn't move for the position it had flipped me into and so I needed someone to save me.

On the other hand I was topless and waving my gelatinous derriere in the air. Hardly my most attractive side!

What did I do? Obvious really, I whimpered for about a minute then risking the metal amputating my finger I tried to roll onto it and off the other side! There was no way I was calling for help. Would rather lose a finger than risk people seeing me in that compromising position!

Luckily for me it worked and I escaped with bruised finger and ego only. So when it came to buying a new one I was sure I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice! I had seen a lovely sturdy one with non collapsable legs and deemed it perfect for my requirements. I carried it to the check out, handed over my pennies and left the shop.

This is where I ran into problems. I opened every door of my sizable car and tried to fit the lounger in. I tried every conceivable entry and even tried putting the seats down to create a large area from the boot to the front seats.

It was still too bloody big!

After twenty minutes of playing tetris with the flipping thing and having to bat off advances from manly blokes who thought that they could do better I did what every grown up, independent woman does.

...I called my boyfriend to come and rescue me!!

A modern day knight in shining armour is a scruffy bloke with bungy ropes in the boot!

3 comments:

Sparkle said...

Hi Sweetheart. You have made me laugh today.. I can't imagine the sun being so hot it melted a sun lounger that is hot.
I am nursing a very bad hangover today consequences of the Managers do yesterday.
Love you and miss you
Sparkle x x x x x xx x

shazza said...

hi babes well i can remember that incident!!!! your pinky was bruised for ages! there would be no chance of your sun lounger melting here! its cold wet and miserable (a bit like me really!)
never mind pre employment medical next thurs so heres hoping we can start the visa process before christmas!!!! i am getting closer and closer and i cant wait. miss you soooooooooo much. x

Holly said...

I cant believe its so hot there Nat! Im sooo jealous! I hurt my ankle Friday night, some muppet bloke knocked me over and then stood on my foot! How rude, well at least he apologised!

I would do anything to be in the sun, looking forward to a holiday to Hungary next year for a wedding, should be interesting!

Hope your ok and getting a good tan!!

xx