Monday, February 06, 2006

Art?

As much as I promised myself I wouldn't talk about yet another concert I'd been to, I just can't resist telling you about yesterday.

Yesterday was the day of the 'Big Day Out' festival. They are the equivilent of Glasto in being the original and best out of all the festivals that happen in Oz.

So we saw The White Stripes, Franz Ferdinand, Kings of Leon (we saw them from the unsual vantage point of fifty feet in the air and upside down!), End of Fashion, The Living End, Magic Numbers and many more I'm unable to remember!

However the best part of the day was when I had separated myself from my group to go and procure a drink from the bar. You can only drink in sectioned off bar areas so we don't give the nasty alcohol to troublesome teenagers! I even had to show my drivers licence to prove my age. Apparently crows feet and a tired apathetic demeanour aren't enough to prove security men of my twenty nine years! There I bumped into a guy we had met a couple of hours earlier trying to find the place that they sold tea and scones (?!). This guy, Irish (for I forgot his name almost instantly), had been persuaded to join me on the fairground ride which would give us our highly interesting but vomit inducing view of the kings of Leon.

As we chatted whilst drinking our respective beers the old crooner on the stage (Kimahl, like a Rolf harris at a Glasto gig) finished his act and four seven foot tall papier mache cows frolicked out onto the ground.

What happened next was so truly bizarre that I can only assume that it was all in the name of serious art and was pushing some political view point at the audience. However from my observation of the audience (a hundred half pissed twenty somethings) I think the political message got lost and only the comedy was understood.

So the plot begins with the aforementioned cows dancing around whilst a giant papier mache farmer chased after them. The farmer manages to slaughter each of the cows before 'losing' all his clothes to reveal a little papier mache willy. The cows now completely deaded, lie on the ground looking forlorn until their stomaches burst open and the entrails slither out and start dancing around tormenting the farmer. All this happens whilst a sinsiter looking alien being looks on at the proceedings. He is also naked with his very own papier mache grey, alien willy!

If anyone can fill me in on the political message please let me know. Is it a protest against the live exports that happen here in Freo still? Is it merely promoting vegetarianism? Is it a shout out against animal cruelty?

My head hurts!

I swear that if I didn't have photographic evidence I would have assumed that someone had slipped something in my drink and that I was just losing my mind!


The cows!

The slaughter

The entrails emerging and the alien!

Answers on a postcard please.

2 comments:

shazza said...

cant say i get the political message either, but then again who cares. it looks like it was fun! am hacked off that i missed it! you better start scouring the area for something cool for us to attend when i get there!!!!

Nat said...

Brett, RockIt is in March. And she prob won't be here so sshhh, don't mention it to her or she might get upset at another event she'll miss!!

Shaz, good news. Have found a bar I want to go to. It's called the hula bula bar and it's apparently an elvis inspired 60's hawaiian bar. It's the closest thing to Club Tropi I can find. They wear leis and drink cocktails from carved tiki mugs! Hurry over!