Friday, August 19, 2005

Flannelette Jimjams And Other Shopping Outfits

Recently I've been noticing the total lack of inhibition displayed amongst the residents of Freo. There's an old guy who I see most days walking past my bus stop in town. He's a bit doddery and walks with a zimmer which slows him down to begin with. The thing is that his trousers or as I must start calling them, pants are about four sizes too big. This little old man has to stop his zimmer every three steps so he can adjust his pants to cover the copious amounts of chewing gum grey trolleys. In between times I just can't take my eyes off him for fear he'll have a total wardrobe malfunction. However he does wear a really dapper trilby hat over slicked brylcreamed hair. Maybe he only owns a mirror which shows his top half?

Freo is one of those hippy towns that has become quite rare in recent years. It's full of eccentric old ladies in shellsuits and socks, sporting fabulous vintage spangly stillettos out buying their cabbage and snapper fillets. I've also seen how to get around the tricky uniform policies of offices. I've seen one lady who is obviously a hippy at heart but has to conform somewhat during the day. She is always immaculately dressed in chic, well cut suits and kitten heeled shoes but she always sets off the outfit with a funky pair of brightly coloured tiedye tights. Ingenious!

Then there is a girl who lives around the corner from me. On Sunday I trundled off to the shops after losing a 'Rock Off' to Dave (loser had to get dressed and buy the sunday papers and a carton of choc milk!). This girl had obviously lost the same comp with her man cos she was wearily making her way to the shop too. Anyway, she didn't care for getting dressed and had just thrown on a cardi over her jammys with the pink, baby elephants on and was trudging through the puddles in her fluffy slippers!

And no one batted an eyelid! Me, I still have to brush my teeth, put deodrant and perfume on, do my hair and put mascara and lipgloss on before I leave the house. Not to mention choosing what to wear and the shoes to match. It's all very tiring.
Maybe I have it all wrong and I should embrace the slovenly!

5 comments:

H x said...

Hmm. I have just one little question. Is the street where you live popular with 'Care in the Community'?!

If I did the jump-out-of-bed-fling-on-a-jumper-pop-to-the-shops thing the whole of the village would be gossiping about it within 5 minutes.

But then again, i don't wear jammies so i guess they would have a point...

P.S. Thanks for the reminder about your birthday! :o)

shazza said...

hey babe just wait til you have kids, the lip gloss and mascara go right out the window, it takes so long to get them ready you just dont have time for yourself. you throw on whatever a. is lying on the bedroom floor b. whatever is not baby puked stained!

shazza said...

hey babe just wait til you have kids, the lip gloss and mascara go right out the window, it takes so long to get them ready you just dont have time for yourself. you throw on whatever a. is lying on the bedroom floor b. whatever is not baby puked stained!

H x said...

Oh dear! I thought a 'rock off' was some kind of rock star, airguitar-playing competition, along the lines of the Britney v Justin "Dance off" when they bumped into each other in a club shortly after their split. It appears i am behind the times... Old age is catching up with me. Sob!

Nat said...

Malk. Piccies? Will see what I can do. Did you see the ones of the leaving party yet?