Friday, August 05, 2005

The Money Pit


I must have 'Dippy Mug' written across my forehead in indelible ink. A few weeks ago I bought a car at the very spookily named Aberdeen Car Auctions (Abdn being my last place of residence!). My delectable purchase was a mazda 626. All sleek and white and sexy and throaty sounding. There was Dave and I looking smug and feeling all superior at our half price bargain.

....and then I drove it! The engine no longer sounded throaty and ready for a spin but rather more like an 86 year old woman with emphysema. Hence Dave and I tried to come up with all kinds of scams to offload it onto some grumpy old car dealer. Needless to say when it came down to it we just couldn't be that mean. So that's when I found myself at the local garage pacing the reception like an anxious parent. The mechanic was visibly shocked when he drove it proclaiming it 'bloody awful' and was even more surprised when he found out that I wanted to repair it rather than scrap it. I spent a repulsive amount of money on a new transmission and other car type stuff. I finally was able to drive it after it being off the road for weeks. And then my brakes failed!

Off it went to the Garage Beauty Salon once more where another mechanic insisted on showing me with glee the state of my brakes and the machinery he broke whilst fixing them. This mechanic also did sound effects of the brakes failing and screeching though. Most impressive even if I did have my head in my hands for the duration!

So the outcome is this. I have been in this country for three months now and I have just driven my car to work and back again without event and without any flashy warning lights coming on.
For. The. Very. First. Time!

You live and learn I guess!

No comments: