Sunday, April 02, 2006

'Ere Me Luver!

(I found my favourite pic of me ma. I still have this bikini. It has, however, never fitted me!)

I'm mortified.

Last night my mum told me that I had developed 'an aussie twang'! I can't possibly have changed my accent already. I've only been here for ten months and in my head I still sound as devonshire as pasties and clotted cream.

I simply cannot 'do a hollywood superstar' and morph into a true blue ocker, I mean how pathetic is that? Madonna, Catherine Zeta Jones and Charlize Theron have all developed foreign accents and they sound stupid for it. I used to giggle when people in Aberdeen assumed I was from Australia. I know I was living with an aussie but I think because my accent is elongated it must have sounded similar to the ears of the Scots.

The pharmicist on my ward in Aberdeen was convinced. He used to say 'where are you from, Australia? I'd reply no and he'd ask 'New Zealand then?'. Still no and he would walk away muttering 'ah, South Africa, I thought so'!

Over here I get the scottish connection a lot more. Half of the people I work with still refer to me as the scottish nurse!? I do say 'aye' and 'a wee bit' occasionally but Shazza will vouch for the fact that if I try and put on a scots accent, I sound like Mrs Doubtfire, and she was from England according to the film anyway!

So I guess I'm just going to have to practise a lot harder to keep my janner-esque tones for fear that I'll turn into Janelle from Neighbours!

7 comments:

Spunky Trunks said...

My God! She does look like Katie Holmes.

You are like a guaranteed investment return Natterjack.

Rauqio - An italian tomato based sauces, with capers, atouch of vodka and lemon fondant

Sparkle said...

I love you my little Fairy Princess. I don't know who Katie Holmes is but thank you because everybody used to say I looked like Cherie Blair. You are beautiful my baby girl the most beautiful bay girl ever born on earth. Love you soooooooo much Sparkle xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sparkle said...

I meant baby girl not bay girl whatever that might mean, this stupid keyboard missing letters out. xxxxxxxxxxx
ikixu that's funny

Spunky Trunks said...

Cherie Blair mings, so no way.

J.J said...

Mrs Doubtfire is my daughter's favourite film. I love it too but it has always troubled me that Mrs Doubtfire is English????

shazza said...

i think mrs doubtfire has a poor imitation scottish accent, but couldnt testify if she is supposed to be english or scottish! i find it amusing that the aussies think your scottish nat! when you phoned on saturday i didnt recognise your voice! you sounded soooooo english!! not like the nat that i know and love!!! cant wait til we get there and see if murrae loses his scottish accent, the younger they are the easier they lose it! my mum lost her english accent pretty quick and she was born there yet its weird when my aunt talks as she has a totally english accent and she was born here!!!! bizarre! sparkle is beautiful and the photo of her in the bikini is so hot!!! good on ya girl!!

Nat said...

Ma....how could you not know who Katie Holmes is?

It's the staples of every celeb magazine. (she got up the duff by the tom cruisey guy)

All scientology makes kate a dull girl and all?!