Saturday, April 01, 2006

How I met....Sparkle

Ok, I know, I know. I met my mum on the 24th August 1976 when she was so kind to give birth to me (two weeks after getting drunk on champagne that Donald Sutherland gave her)...but thats not the point.

She probably doesn't realise that I have these photos. I acquired (stole) them from one of the cupboards at my parents house when I left home for the first time!

So here is Sparkles life in pictures...


Mama in her infancy. Her ma, Vera, named her Thelma so 'she would want for nothing'?? She soon changed her name to Tina and then it somehow morphed into Sparkle. She's been called Sparkle for about the past 15 years.


My ma, the mo-delle! The date on the back states it is the year 1971 which makes her a very young 14. This was probably about the same time that she 'starred' in a Trago Mills advert. She didn't get paid as such but she was allowed to pick any item of lingerie from their vast collection. She chose a polyester nightie.

Needless to say it fell apart after a few weeks!


When she met my dad. Fruit loops! They were well suited.


More courtship photos. She actually gave me that coat and it was gorgeously decadent.

In the South of France. That's my baby brother Jamie with me. He's an handsome bugger now. She always had movie star aspirations. Check out the aviator shades...



At my leaving party in May last year. She's still a beautiful woman and if I look anything like her for the rest of my life I'll be a very happy bird!

6 comments:

Holly said...

Your mama is indeed beautiful and she brightens every room as soon as she walks in. I have a lot of respect for Sparkle, she been really good to me.

I have seen photies like those before, do you know that she has a stash of them in her work drawers!

The Fatalist said...

I do love seeing old photos as people show off their past...good to see you get on so well with your mum. People say family is all important, but you can choose your friends NOT your family. Exactly why MUST we be so loyal to them if we don't like them? (I'm not saying I have any problems liking or not liking my family, it's just a general observation).

Spunky Trunks said...

Too right you're lucky babes.

Your mum is a babealonian.

You both have those eyes that melt my heart and stiffen my ardour.

x

H x said...

That one of your mum and Dad making faces is so sooo funny! And i think she looks like Katie Holmes.

Nat said...

Moo, thanks, I made her all myself!! (bugger, I bet you can tell thats a lie?). I knew she kept photos at work. She's done it for years. We're the same me and my mum!

Fatalist, ta. She really is fab. We've never fallen out. And I agree with you about the loyalty bit. I just got lucky I guess.

Spunkster, you old studmuffin! You'll make me swoon at this rate.

H, thats my favourite pic of the two of them. I'm not supposed to have it but I stole it from them! You're right, she does look like KH. She's beautiful. xxxxx

shazza said...

of course you will stay beautiful!! how could you not!! my brothers have said that you just have 'something' that made them swoon! mark included and hes married!!! its not like him to say things like that!