Friday, September 09, 2005

Top 50 Songs of 1994






Rules:
Take the year you left school. Find the top 50 songs and post them. Put the ones you love in bold, the ones you hate in italics and leave the ones you care nothing for,



1, LOVE IS ALL AROUND
Wet Wet Wet
(the first week, yes, quite a nice ditty. By the eleventh week, cause for riots!)

2, SATURDAY NIGHT
Whigfield
(yes, I think I still know the dance!)

3, STAY ANOTHER DAY
East 17
(the chrimbo bells, the mispronounciation, the 'durty' look? Chavs before their time!)

4, BABY COME BACK
Pato Banton featuring Ali and Robin Campbell
( I just didn't get it. Reminds me of when Paul and I fell asleep in Jelly Jazz on Nic's 18th b'day! Soz bird!)

5, I SWEAR
All-4-One
(nauseating mush)

6, WITHOUT YOU
Mariah Carey (nauseating mush with big boobs)

7, ALWAYS
Bon Jovi (nauseating mush with big hair)

8, CRAZY FOR YOU
Let Loose (nauseating in tight jeans!)

9, THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER
D:Ream
(perfect cos Paul and I could have a crush on him and think it was possible to get a snog!)

10, DOOP
Doop

11, THE SIGN
Ace Of Base


12, COME ON YOU REDS
Manchester United Football Squad

13, THE RHYTHM OF THE NIGHT
Corona

14, ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU
Mariah Carey
(eurgh, eurgh, eurgh!!)

15, I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Reel 2 Real featuring The Mad Stuntman

16, 7 SECONDS
Youssou N'Dour featuring Neneh Cherry

17, SWAMP THING
The Grid

18, LET ME BE YOUR FANTASY
Baby D
(only for the Ritzys memories, mind!)

19, LOVE ME FOR A REASON
Boyzone

20, EVERYTHING CHANGES
Take That (didn't appreciate the campness and general hilarity at the time. Do now!)

21, (MEET) THE FLINTSTONES
BC-52's

22, STREETS OF PHILADELPHIA
Bruce Springsteen

23, INSIDE
Stiltskin
(T'was the jeans ad? Bought the cassette single. Can you even get casettes these days?)

24, THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL IN THE WORLD
Love Symbol (Prince)

25, SEARCHING
China Black

26, CROCODILE SHOES
Jimmy Nail
(who proclaimed Jimmy Nail a popstar?)

27, COMPLIMENTS ON YOUR KISS
Red Dragon with Brian and Tony Gold


28, THE RETURN OF INNOCENCE
Enigma

29, WE HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD
Louis Armstrong

30, BABY, I LOVE YOUR WAY
Big Mountain
(another Ritzy classic. Still makes me smile!)

31, ANOTHER NIGHT
MC Sar & The Real McCoy

32, THE REAL THING
Tony Di Bart (Tony di Plumber. What ever happened to him? At least he had a trade to go back to!)

33, BREATHE AGAIN
Toni Braxton
(another vom inducing ballard! why do we allow these people to make music?)

34, THINK TWICE
Celine Dion
(see above!)

35, REGULATE
Warren G & Nate Dogg

36, SWEETNESS
Michelle Gayle

37, ALL FOR LOVE
Bryan Adams with Rod Stewart & Sting
(oh, Bryan, you had me til then!)

38, HEY NOW (GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN)
Cyndi Lauper

39, AROUND THE WORLD
East 17

40, STAY (I MISSED YOU)
Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories

41, SWEETS FOR MY SWEET
CJ Lewis

42, SURE
Take That

43, I'LL MAKE LOVE TO YOU
Boyz II Men
(boyz, grow some testicles, please, for the love of god and all that is good!)

44, ENDLESS LOVE
Luther Vandross & Mariah Carey
(I remember wanting to slit my wrists cos the song seemed endless!)

45, COTTON EYE JOE
Rednex (now will always be associated with Chuz for reasons I don't want to go into! Sssh, there may be children around!)

46, POWER RANGERS
Mighty Morph'n Power Rangers (Repeat after me, 'Never let a cartoon sing')

47, SHINE
Aswad

48, MMM MMM MMM MMM
Crash Test Dummies

49, NO GOOD (START THE DANCE)
The Prodigy

50, GET-A-WAY
Maxx


So as you can see, 1994 was not a good year for music. It's awash with dross and ballards and boybands! I just don't remember it being that bad though.

For me it was a year for Levellers, The waterboys, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Tori Amos, Paul Weller, Frente, Alanis Morrisette, The Cranberries, Reef, Radiohead, Jamiroquai and Chumbawumba (before the whole tubthumping debacle!)

Thank god I didn't have to rely on the charts for a daily fix of music!

3 comments:

shazza said...

1. Foreigner I Want To Know What Love Is - slushy song i like only when pissed as a fart!!!

2. Elaine Paige & Barbara Dickson I Know Him So Well - hate it with a vengance, a mummy song!!

3. Dead Or Alive You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) - loved this at the time, i even still have it on vinyl!

4. Philip Bailey & Phil Collins Easy Lover - didnt really rate it till nat and i saw 'phil' at chicky rock!

5. USA For Africa We Are The World
- was fed up of charity records by this point!

6. Phillis Nelson Move Closer - another song my mother loved!!!

7. Paul Hardcastle 19 - hated it but to my dismay found that michael has the 12" single!

8. Crowd You'll Never Walk Alone - the only charity record i actually liked! remember the horror of the tragedy unfolding on the tv!

9. Sister Sledge Frankie 4 - eugh!

10.Eurythmics There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart) - annie what can i say!!

11.Madonna Into The Groove 4 - quite liked madonna back then.

12.UB 40 & Chrissie Hynde I Got You Babe - i hate this song!!!!

13.David Bowie & Mick Jagger Dancing In The Street - and this one!!

14. Midge Ure If I Was - no comment

15.Jennifer Rush The Power Of Love - yet another mother song!

16. Feargal Sharkey A Good Heart - i love feargal, the wets got their name from a feargal song!!

17. Wham I'm Your Man - wham fan sorry!

18. Whitney Houston Saving All My Love For You - hate whitney

19. Shakin' Stevens Merry Christmas Everyone - one of the cheesyest but best chrimbo songs around!!

sorry nat could only find the top 19 for the year i left school! what can i say it was a bad bad year!!!

Nat said...

Isn't that bad! At least you had loads of 'dance around your handbags cheese'!
What did I get? Mighty Morphin Power Rangers!
And I love Sister Sledge. Reminds me of Manixtate!!
Madonna was ace back then, all rough hair andd lace fingerless gloves!
Must be an Angel reminds me of the roller disco!

Have to say, you're year was soo much better!!

V said...

Ahhh....who doesn't love a guy who loves Tori. I can't go thru the list b/c I can't ever remember song names, except for those really catchy ones like MMM MMM MMM MMM.